Saturday, June 28, 2008

misconnecting/connecting

before I start, as a "Hey" to Charley, there are two under-the-radar peculiar laughs to be mined in a coupla old songs by stephen stills. I like to think they might be about the stumble-in-the-dark nature of the quest for love. wise guy stephen stills?
"Wordlessly watching,he waits by the window
and wonders about the empty space inside
heartlessly helping himself to her bad dreams
he worries..did he hear a goodbye
or even "hello?"
from 'Helplessly Hoping'

and from the powerful bridge from 'Bluebird' from the Buffalo Springfield days
"Do you think she knows you?
Do you think at all?"
*
Ok, starting now
let me spill some about "connecting to the stars"
Besides shaking hands w/Spaulding Gray (RIP) and
Richard Thompson (TWICE)
I felt something between me and Ricki Lee Jones (we locked eyes w/love)
and Bob Seger in a bar (we locked eyes w/friendship)
Since the ceiling was spinning as Jackson Browne was singing a ethereal take on "Too Many Angels" I needed to work my way down the aisle to escape,towards the stage, from where Jackson needled me "Don't Go"
I raised one arm up, palm up, and shrugged. then, a wave.
We all shared a laugh.
Todd Rundgren had an elaborate circular stage one tour,where besides seating willing drummers from the crowd to join in to "play all day" on that damn song, besides that, he had cams mounted & a variety of stuffed toys,rocket ships,and whatever suspended over the crowd,with outreaching and spinning mechanical arms. (or maybe i dreamed this)
People were way too distracted (like babies under a mobile) reaching for
the thing instead of listening...
I grabbed a big dinosaur..and held it..not sharing, and trying to focus on what Todd was trying to do..and he all of a sudden was shouting "Hey, let go of my dinosaur!"
My only rejoinder could be (I yelled over the divine din)
"It's the content, stupid" something he just might have said.
We shared a laugh.

No comments: