Thursday, June 26, 2008

cheers

I own my own muse
uncannily, I can amuse me

it's fairly common knowledge,I think, that some Irish may
consider a spot of poteen and a pint at the end of a well-spent day...
God's pay for a day's good work. Earned.
when I get home, I spill a half swallow of irish whiskey in my glass, turn to look out the back window,raise my glass some, and to the sunrise's orange and yellows,to the trees & water
I'll whisper "yes, here's to ya,then".

Coupla nights back, I noticed there was just half a swallow in the bottle I might savor in the morning after work, and get the empty bottle out to the recyclable bin before the early truck. Before I headed off to work
the night before though, it was apparent that my sweet & neat mate, thinking logically that the bottle was another empty to go out the night before, took it out.
the next morning, after getting out all the rest of the trash out to the front that needed to go,walking the 30 yards back up my broken driveway to the house, I stopped. I smiled, then started laughing as I walked back to the road, all the time thinking of the imaginary guy across the street, opening his blinds for the sunrise, slippers & robe,looking out and seeing the real life guy across the street walking out to the road, lifting the top up, and reaching down into the bin, pulling out a bottle, unscrewing the top and tipping it back for that last swallow.

No comments: