Monday, April 21, 2008

pushy pee see

With prejudicial judgement, I theorize that political correctness is eschewed,ignored, and mocked even by some who might be nervous & shy about their accidental bigotry,the more unsightly blemishes of their prejudices, and bad manners showing.
Wise guys like Bill Maher,dennis miller,carlos mencia, and stern might still bask in the sexy afterglow of outrageousness, and pass wordy wind
freely because George Carlin fought every utterance for "freely".But Carlin & his spiritual mentor Mr. Lenny Bruce were ultimately NOT up against political correctness, it was all up against the would be & very real
priggish silencers or Free Speech ("priggish"? I'm gonna have to run a spell check on that)
Todd Rundgren has an appropriate song mention right about here
check out "Jesse"

I am sometimes in the minority I bet when i sometimes support and sometimes encourage PC, just as I stand by civility & fairness.

So I'm at lunch with family yesterday and I decide to offer up an observation to liven up the conversation.
Cable news had an extended piece on the recent earthquake in the Midwest. I quickly revealed my astonishment that arose while watching,
as one after another of the interviews by the surprised victims and citizens of Mt.Carmel, Illinois. The people were wild.
Let's just say that if a drive-in movie production were looking extras for their "nutty locals" scenes...let's just say, maybe there was a devastating industrial accident (from the the factory or nuclear plant that had laid off all it's town years before) maybe a spill or explosion maybe (this along with the unlikely Midwest earthquake thing). Or maybe the circus was in town.

I watched and forgot all about the unlikely Midwest earthquake and keened in on the (and here's where my prejudices come in,I'm from the Midwest) unlikely freakish Midwesterners.

Family at the table,especially my mate(into her 2nd white wine) imaginably glared in imaginably disapproving silence. Until she got to the heart of the matter right away when she brought up the Midwest thing. I admitted that I might have been less stunned by the shocking display on CNN, if the people lived much farther South.
She stepped things up by unnecessarily reminding us "In Cold Blood was where?"
I was about to counter to unnecessarily remind her in my rejoinder that her New Jersey housed the 21th century's "All In The Family", the too popular Sopranos when the food came.
Our quieter graceprayer might have been "judge not, not really budge not"

1 comment:

bugman said...

I'm one of those anti-PC guys. The way I see it, the reason for being PC is to minimize the pain of other people. (If I'm wrong, let me know.) That's a worthy objective, to be sure. But my reason for being anti-PC is pretty much the same. I feel that being overly careful about the words you use can make it all too easy to gloss over the root causes of that very same pain.

Just a thought....