Tuesday, April 22, 2008

2nd Guess

I would welcome suggestions for the last word on this wordmath that spilled last night at work. I was shooting for the word that most suggested that Truth was in the room, & something divine.

the night fills book shelves
of newselves
and ghosts ancient that go silent
after you dare to glare it down
the night fills full boxes
of hoaxes
All honest,bold-faced hazy fascades,
and full frontal revelations.


or

the night fills bookshelves
of newselves
and ghosts ancient that go silent
after you dare to glare it down
the night fills full boxes
of hoaxes
all honest, bold-faced hazy fascades,
and full frontal epiphanies

I'm not sure of the precise differentiation, I was mostly going for the sound. someone told me that when they thought of 'revelation' they thought of something that stayed & changed. and that 'epiphany' was more temporal. I kinda think of revelation as being the more visual of the two (and this might fall in line w/the 'newselves' & 'ghosts' imagery.) what do you think? which?

5 comments:

bugman said...

I personally think of revelation as a kind of unfolding, and epiphany as more explosive. 'Epiphany' might fit 'full frontal' a bit more, but after the IBM ad, Madison Avenue changed the meaning of the word to something like: "any fleeting thought." A beautiful word, ruined. Sigh.

That makes me more partial to revelation.

namelessneed said...

thank you,kind sir, for yr provocative comment (&vote)
not long after I logged this thing, I lied down for a long day's 10 minute
exhausted mindrest and instead of sleeping, a burst of words;joycean yet surreal too, came real good as an adjoining verse to this day's wordmath. I rolled in it's scent & sense for some time after getting up but did not pick up a pen. (lesson learned) but after the word 'revelation' or 'epiphany' (likely,explosive, it was) I'll settle on the later and only think and ache for the rest,lost.

Confessions of a Crocheting Commuter said...

epiphany is a high school vocabulary word charged with manner of sexualistics, an image of a young woman bathing in a lake in golden light, viewed with great surprise by an even younger man, a maxwell parrish painting in my mind. revelation = revelator = favorite song and album and singer. No answer, just associations.

Anonymous said...

Oh nameless one, what do you need?

namelessneed said...

if I knew what i kneed I would kname it, it's my knature
k?