Monday, April 14, 2008

just

I had been thinking of continuing this cyberspill with a piece on capital A Art;
mention a coupla meaningful childhood metaphors, mention an artist friend's cyber gallery. but something even
more important than capital A Art arose.
When I joked to my sister that going to another Todd Rundgren concert (at the very least 10 visits the last 25 years) was like getting back to church it made me think that not only had the amazing artist Todd influenced me,moved me, and most importantly, amused me. but his "hero-ness" encompassed "spiritual mentor".
This time out something was off. Todd and band were obviously exhausted from a Japan tour and as the rough & hard- edged songs started coming, they were coming AT me rather than TO me. It seemed that the set play list was a medley of the disagreeable "lousiest songs on the album". He wanted in yr face R & R and I wasn't taking his choices. I twisted and turned through half a dozen aural"abrasions" in the old crunched-in seats in the gorgeous Tampa Theatre and wanted out. I kept looking down the aisle of people I would have to get up so that I could get some air and another imported beer. My partner looked over and smiled showing me that She was having a fine time as I made my move.
Back,better,Todd warmed me with "Mystified" * "Broke down & busted"
and when the encore came; the always ethereal "Hawking", Kasim helping bigtime with "Trapped", and a song I never liked,"Worldwide Epiphany"
took off as something they didn't plan and I never expected, they truleytranscended their show,mercifully, and the night was saved for me.
from just a man to just a man.
Throughout the show I wondered if tonight;if like in any spiritual journey, I must denounce my earthly idols, kill my messiah, to step up and allow the true power to course through,coarsely coerce,and shine on all.

EarlyLast week, for the first time since childhood, I was pressed to kneel
down and pray. I was taught to think of and bless all relatives and friends before sleep, it was a long list for a preschooler. EarlyLast week I would start to think of four people in my small world who's despairate situations needed it thought. I asked for one thing, I thought one strong word to plea; Mercy.
from just a man

No comments: