Wednesday, August 27, 2008

encountering soft affinities,possibly electrical

in a short time this morning I encountered these two very different works by two very different artists and yet, they're brother & sister as they chime about something that goes on here, I can't help but know,I don't think.

"Inside the museum,infinity goes up on trial
Voices echo This is what salvation must be like after a while"
from 'Visions Of Johanna' Bob Dylan


W E A K F O R C E S
I enjoy an accumulating
faith in weak forces--
a weak faith, or course,
easily shaken, but also
easily regained--in what
starts to drift: all the
slow untrainings of the mind,
the sift left of resolve
sustained too long, the
strange eternal shift
by which there's no knowing
if this is the road taken
or untaken. There are soft
affinities, possibly electrical;
lint like congeries; moonlit
hints; asymmetrical pink
glowy spots that are not
the defeat of something,
I don't think.

Kay Ryan, Poet Laureate

No comments: